MATH 1010 Spring 2017
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
In class – Go over 4.1 and 4.2 Numeration Systems
On your own:
A. Watch the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvsbS67HBA4
and answer the following 10 questions (using your own paper) as you watch:
1. The Sumerian system was positional, meaning___________________________
2. The Sumerian system was handed down to the Babylonians in __________
3. In 150 AD, Greek astronomer _________________ was the first to accept the concept of zero.
4. In ______, Indian mathematician Brahmagupta defined the role of zero.
5. The Arabs adopted the Hindu numerals and computational methods in __________.
6. Zero and the Hindu symbols were introduced to Europe by the mid-12th century by what group of people?
7. Zero was not fully accepted by European countries until the ________.
8. Name 5 ways zero plays a central role in mathematics.
9. The following mathematicians used zero to develop important mathematical concepts. Given the names, tell what they developed.
Rene Descartes ______________________________
Newton and Leibniz ____________________________
10. Name 4 areas where calculus is used.
and under Example Worksheets, print out the first 2 worksheets. Work all 20
problems on each page.
Bring your 10 video answers and 2 completed worksheets to class on Monday, January 23. If you are absent from a class when an assignment is due, you must turn the assignment in before the next class begins to receive credit.